Synergy Repair Page

This page is for showing how to do some repairs and modifications

If you ever need new Eproms, I have all the files and equipment for doing them, I can even do the 74S288 programmable memory ICs, although finding them can be very hard, do not buy any of the ones from China on ebay, they are all used and these are a one time programmable chip.

The biggest problem with the Synergy II+ is the sockets that the daughter boards plug into, they where designed to hold a chip, not a circuit board so the first thing I did to my Synergy II+ was to remove the sockets that the daughter boards plug into, and replced them with sockets designed to hold the boards, these are the same type of socket they use for stacking Arduino boards.

These hold the boards firmly and at the proper hight for clearance, yet still keep them removeable, in case you ever need to access the ICs under the boards, since I did this mod, I have not had any problems with my Synergy.

The next most common problem is the ribbon cable on the cartridge slot PCB, instead of using a header and plug, they soldered an IDC connector for the ribbon cable to the PCB, the cable is actually a bit short and everytime you open the cabinet, it puts a bit of strain on the cable, these wires are very fragile and over time can become frayed.

If your Synergy is acting a bit funky, or your sound output is garbled, try unplugging the cartridge from the processor board and see if it fixes the problem, if it does, then you will need to re-do the connections on the cartridge PCB cable.

The ribbon cables connecting the 3 boards together can also be troublesome, and may need to be plugged/unplugged a few times, before they will make a good connection, cleaning the pins with alchohol can help.

Next on the list is the plastic actuators on the ends of the keys, these are are all 30+ years old, and the plastic is starting to deteriorate, a lot of them are cracking on either side of the screw rendering them usless.
The softer plastic piece that actuates the little spring is usually fine, it's only the part that it slides on to that breaks.

I recently picked up a 3D printer, and decided to try making my own, I first drew the part up in Google Sketchup, it took a bit of trial and error, but I managed to get it drawn up, printing was the same, it took a few tries before I got the printer settings right, but now they come out almost perfect every time. I made up a bunch to fix my "parts" keyboard with, and now it is working like new.

The pic below shows the old parts, and the new ones I printed up